Wednesday 15 May 2013

Inside a Panic Attack

This blog is aimed at people who do not suffer from Panic Attacks. Perhaps you have a friend or a family member who has just started having them, or perhaps you know someone who has had them for years. Either way, it can be extremely frustrating to watch from the outside. Every now and then, those closest to us, need to be reminded that we are not doing this to hurt them, and that we do, in fact, really appreciate their help and understanding. Sometimes a little understanding, goes a long way.

Let's get started.

Panic Attacks, are not fun.

They are not made up.
They are not something that happens, 'just cos we don't want to do something.'
They are also not in our heads, or done for attention, or because we are crazy, or because we wished them upon ourselves.

We certainly wouldn't wish them on anyone else.

Panic Attacks, once it gets to that point, are next to impossible to control. Once they start, unless you have some serious therapy which has helped, or some very effective medication (usually prescription and highly addictive), you are pretty much there for the ride.

In my experience, everyone has slightly different experiences of Panic Attacks, however, there seems to be one overriding feeling that everyone goes through, and that is Terror.

What It Feels Like

Most people seem to get the same common symptoms:

  • Racing Heart
  • Hyperventilation
  • Shaking
Then there is a mixture of other things that can occur - these are the ones I get:
  • Nausea
  • Diarreah
  • Tingly/frozen hands (frozen, in the sense that I can't move them, not that they are cold)
  • Blurred vision
  • 'Fuzzy' hearing
  • Derealization (feeling of nothing being real)
  • Sweating
  • Heat Flashes
From other people, I've heard that these can also happen:
  • Heart palpitations
  • chest pain
  • fainting
Now, bearing in mind that all these sensations are occurring at the same time, it is little wonder that often a Panic Attack is mistaken for something much more serious. People have been rushed to hospital with these symptoms, doctors and machines can read these symptoms, but nothing is found to be wrong.

If you have ever had a panic attack, then you will understand what I am talking about, and will not need convincing.
If you have never had one, then try to imagine yourself having a heart attack, or suddenly finding yourself unable to breath, or see, or hear properly. You may or may not be able to identify what's happening, or why it's happening, and that is really scary.

Panic Attacks and Me

I had my first panic attack when I was 11 years old. I had them almost weekly, if not daily from then until now, but I didn't know what they were for a number of years. Now I know what they are, I have been working on overcoming them through therapy, medication and a lot of hard work for a decade. I can usually work through them, but not always, and I normally know why it is happening or what triggered it, but there have been three times in the past 5 months when I have panicked and not realised that was what was happening (and that's after having them for nearly 20 years now).

Sometimes I have them, and nobody around me even knows anything is wrong, because I have adapted to hide them. Often I will simply leave the room if I notice it is about to happen. Often my own husband won't even know that I am having a panic attack, although he will know that something is wrong, sometimes he thinks I am just sick, or angry, because I get so quiet. 

What To Do

Don't tell them to breathe and get over it.
Don't get frustrated with them

Do give them space a bit of time. Panic Attacks are not physically able to last for long, they may reoccur right away, but there is down time in between.
Do get them some water, a wet cloth or a paper bag. 
Do stay with them.

Making them talk to you is often not helpful....at least it's never been for me.

All I am asking, is that you be aware of what it is. What it feels like. How scary and out of control they can feel. Know that you may not be able to see it. But believe me, that person is feeling it.

1 comment:

  1. This was a message left for me on the facebook page - they wanted it pasted here, so here it is. Thanks for the great feedback!!

    Unfortunately, its one of those things that people have to experience for themselves to fully appreciate. I only recently realised that I have had panic attacks all my life. I thought that because I wasn't flailing all over the place and in hysterics (on the outside) and was appearing 'normal' to the outside world. Part of starting to recover has been...learning to trust myself and listen to (not ignore) my feelings, no more energy drinks (as they can produce feelings of panic), trying not to be everything to everyone...etc.
    Anyway, I kind of think that this stuff happens in our lives for a good reason. So good luck on your journey and keep following your dreams.

    ReplyDelete